Leaves for Healing

Recently, I am a little discouraged.  I'm not sure exactly why, either. I think that it's probably one part loneliness, one part feeling cooped-up, and one part depression over the very tiny part I play in the world.

Whitman said,
"What good amid these, O me, O life?/ Answer./ That you are here---that life exists and identity./ That the powerful play goes on and you will contribute a verse."
That may be, but I feel that my verse is quite small, insignificant and tiny.

I think (but am too lazy to verify on Google) that Mother Teresa said something about how our small acts of great love are like drops into God's great ocean.  Perhaps that is my problem. I want to cover the world's brokenness with my love, only to discover that no matter how I stretch and fray it, it cannot even cover those within my reach.

I am no savior.

Christ has called us to be like Him---to have compassion for the broken and meet them with truth and grace. God's people have always been charged to care for those who are suffering.

I think that many young believers, in my circle of friends at least, have caught onto that reality and are actively seeking restoration for the people around us.  But with everything, it never seems to be enough.  Sin's effects continue to swallow these communities, and I feel like I'm drowning in discouragement and insignificance.

The Holy Spirit has been good to remind me that the work is worth it for the few are redeemed and for the restoration that does occur.  The Holy Spirit can and will do great and mighty things through the Church when we are walking in His power, but the burdens of sin will not totally be removed until Christ comes again and dwells among us in a land where there is
river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him; they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.
Everything in me today says that the work is too hard and hopeless and cannot accomplish much, but the Spirit inside me chides, "This is the victory that has overcome the world---our faith" (1 John 5:4) and that "faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1).

Thanks be to Christ for accomplishing the victory against sin and death----but maranatha. Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

On my mind: I need to create a Narnia

Favorite inside joke I can't quote: "Girl-pact..."

No comments:

Post a Comment