Getting Out of the Boat

I am behind in my good intentions for this blog. What a pity. To just get started back up, I figure that I might as well just post something I journaled about a month ago. It's still been on my heart and on my mind as I keep trying to find where God has me next.

*                    *                    *                    *                    *


The boat was already long distance from the landbattered by the waves ; for the wind was contrary.And in the fourth watch of the night [Jesus] came to them, walking on the sea.When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is ghost !" And they cried out in fear.  But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying"Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."   Peter said to Him, "Lordif it is You, command me to come to You on the water."  And He said"Come !" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus.  But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faithwhy did you doubt ?"
I read Matthew 14 this morning, and I love the story of Peter walking out on the water to meet Jesus, only to sink.  I feel like when we read this story, we commonly chuckle at Peter's impetuousness---at the way he arrives in a position he can't handle. We smile knowingly when Jesus tells him that he has too little faith. Oh, Peter! So much left to learn before Acts 2.
But as I was reading this o so familiar passage, I thought,
Well, I would rather be Peter than be in the boat.
Yes, Peter began to sink as his faith became battered int he storm and as he looked at the waves rather than at the Master of the sea. But, he got out of the boat.

He had faith. It was certainly pushed to its limits (however small), but he acted on the faith that he had. He (literally) stepped out in faith, trusting that Jesus had meant what He said when He had called him out onto the water.  And when he sank---"Lord, save me!"  He knew who to cry to. While Jesus chided Peter for his lapse in faith, He was also there lifting him up from the waters, expanding his faith, reminding him of His saving power.

Oh, crazy Peter! We laugh, standing elbow to elbow with James, Andrew, Judas, Matthew and the lot with our feet firmly planted on the mostly dry floorboards of the ship.

There is a lot about this coming year that frightens me---so many unknowns (job, living situation, finances, working on my masters, etc.), but I want to be like Peter. I want to recall the promises He has made and get out of the boat. And when I am up to my neck in the waters and my fears, I want to look to Him for rescue. I want to wait with hope upon God and see Him grow my faith.
Father, give me the courage to get out of the boat---whatever comfortable trappings that I trust. Give me the faith to walk with you. May I not lose sight of you or your promises. May I look to you in the storms which I know I must encounter. Jesus, give me the grace to be stretched and grown in my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment